Button Battery Follow Up


Well, we are still waiting here for my son to completely rid himself of the dreaded button battery that he swallowed on Friday. See the reason why it hasn’t quite passed yet was because Thursday he had a stomach virus with the dreaded “D” word where he kept running to the bathroom throughout the day. My poor child’s bottom was on fire by that afternoon and I knew I needed to get stuff to help bulk things up. So I pushed lots of bananas, Yukult, cheese, you know things you push when it’s not so great down there. Then Friday my dear child thought he took batteries to operate and despite my constant warnings not to put anything in his mouth that wasn’t food since he could …..well crawl…..the child of course did not listen. I mean children are notorious for listening to their parents “the first time” right? That’s just what they do huh? 😉

So of course my older son has a stylus to go with the iPad I let the kids use, the stylus is also a laser pointer and flashlight, the batteries fell out of the stylus and in seconds Braidy popped a battery in his mouth and then told me he swallowed a battery. This of course instantly deserved a trip to the ER where we identified the battery floating around in his stomach. 


Now since then, we’ve had a follow-up appointment and  the doctor wasn’t extremely concerned. Basically she said “this happens all the time”, and as long as it doesn’t get stuck in the esophagus, you simply have to wait for it to go through your child’s system. I then told the doctor how I had given my son all this stuff to help bulk things up after he was ill on Thursday and asked if I could use some laxatives and she advised against it, that it needed to come out on its own, that I would be causing more discomfort to Braidy than needed and that the real threat had passed already. However, we still haven’t located the battery, even though I’ve been going through his poop, (I know you are totally disgusted, but if you are a parent, I know you’ve been there in some capacity or another). I haven’t been too thorough with checking out what he’s eliminating partially because I’ve been too disgusted, but I thought I’d once again pass on this public service announcement:

Please please watch your child around button batteries. There is a little boy who swallowed a button battery when he was an infant. This child is now five years old, has had 65 surgeries and has had his vocal chords reconstructed from his colon, it really is nothing to take lightly at all. But the good news is if the battery is smaller than a quarter and makes it all the way to the stomach, most of these cases end well with the battery naturally being passed through the system. 

Have toddlers or infant?

Double check any of your toys that take those kinds of batteries, make sure the backs are screwed on tightly, don’t leave these kinds of batteries within reach of your toddler or infant. I know you know this already, but here’s a real life reminder of how scary ingesting something like this can be and how long it can take for it to come out on its own accord. 

Has your child ever swallowed something they shouldn’t have?!



About Heather Jones

I'm just a wife and mom of two boys trying to find her place in this world. I enjoy walks around the lake, bible journaling, and RV camping with my family.

Heartfully Heather


This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me, Heather Jones. For questions about this blog, please contact me via the “Contact Me” link on the top menu bar or click here. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

Disclosure Policy For Reviews / Guest/Sponsored Posts: 

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner of this blog is compensated to provide opinions on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog receives compensation for posts or advertisements, I (we) always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers’ own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

To see more of my disclosure policy please click here.

Heather Jones

I'm just a wife and mom of two boys trying to find her place in this world. I enjoy walks around the lake, bible journaling, and RV camping with my family.

24 thoughts on “Button Battery Follow Up

  1. How scary! My boys were always into everything, but batteries were not something we had to worry about. Coins, teeth, and bits of plastic cutlery, yes. I can’t imagine worrying about a battery being in there though!

  2. I was always worried about this with my kids when they were younger since they were not vocally expressive. I can’t even imagine how scary this time has been for you! I hope he passes it soon!

  3. According to my Mom I swallowed an open safety pin when I was a toddler–back then they didn’t have throw away diapers–they had cloth diapers and safety pins. I don’t remember but she said I was in the hospital until it passed–luckily with no problem!! I am glad that that battery made it unobstructed to hos stomach –now it is only a matter of time and all will be well.

  4. Omg how crazy! I think I would
    Lose my mind if my daughter told
    Me something like this lol… Ahhhh… Kids!!!

  5. This is a great service announcement indeed for all parents of small children. Children when little will eat the oddest things. I hope your little one passes this soon. I would have totally freaked out if one of my kids came and told me what your son did for sure. I am so glad he told you. Thanks for sharing.

  6. Hang in there! My poor mom had to endure many a wait after I inadvertently swallowed some random thing or another. As grandpa always said, “This, too, shall pass”

  7. I don’t have a child but I remember when I was 10 years old and my sister was just born. She was in the stage where she was crawling and putting everything in her mouth. She was naked on a blanket while mum was off somewhere doing something. She did a big runny poo and then turned around and gave it a taste. I saw the whole thing and I was horrified as I went to tell mum. She wasn’t very concerned though, casually stating “don’t be worried, you ate your poo when you were a baby too”! Ha ha.

  8. Oh my gosh, that is awful! Thanks for the heads up. I so never thought of that and with me babysitting the grandkids I think all things are good to know. Thanks for sharing! Good luck and prayers for your boy, and your nerves.

  9. Yup… that was the story I remember about a small boy who swallowed a button battery. Any luck with the battery coming out yet. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and your little guy!

    1. We think it’s time to by now. We’ve stop mushing through his poop. It’s been over a week. I think I probably missed it, because I was doing it with a stick.

  10. I have four children, and 11 grandchildren, and one great grandchild and not one has swallowed anything out of the ordinary thank the Lord, but I do remember that I swallowed a nickel when I was little at least that what my mom told me & she said that no sooner did I swallow it that I barfed it up all at the same time my birthday cake and ice cream and the nickel was all over the floor and my mother. Ahhhhh all the joys of being a mom!!!! ~snicker-snicker~

  11. These button batteries are very scary. I noticed some of them are very tiny, too. It is something hard to ensure they are not where a busy and curious toddler can get them, or take them out of a product with one in them.

What are your thoughts?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.