When Your Child Swallows A Button Battery!

Adults BrentwoodHome Pillow

I felt like I was long past the stages where I needed to be worried when a kid puts an objects in their mouth that they shouldn’t….like a button battery, but I would be wrong when my three-year old told me the battery was in his throat. I wasted no time…I grabbed shoes and rushed with him out the door telling my husband I’d keep him updated. On the way to the hospital it was kind of a blur. I was driving on auto pilot….(not good) thinking about all the things this kid would go through at the hospital. Would they pump his stomach? Would they try to do surgery or go in with a scope to get it out…all these scenarios kept running through my head.

As I rushed with him into the ER, telling the ever so calm lady what kind of battery he had swallowed and seeing her “non-reaction”, I started to get angry. Despite how non expressive this lady was, she took our information and within about ten minutes we were called back to a room and Braidy’s vitals were taken. He was acting normal. I was glad I brought in two of the three batteries so the doctor knew exactly what kind of battery he swallowed. I figured, if they had all the info, it would help in their decision-making process. 

His vitals were normal and he was acting his normal three-year old self. We went back out into the waiting room and was told that we would be called back for an x-ray shortly. The ex-ray showed the battery alright, almost instantly, the ex-ray technician, said, “you sure did swallow a battery”. 

Right here in my little three-year old’s tummy:

buttonbatteryxray1
 

Seeing this pop up on the ex-ray machine immediately made my heart skip a beat. I had secretly hoped that maybe Braidy was fibbing and didn’t actually swallow it. Fear started to overwhelm me. What would they have to do to get this thing out? 

We were taken back to a room where we sat and were told the doctor would be in shortly. Thankfully it wasn’t too long before the doctor came by to say hello, then took off to take a look at his ex-ray. We sat for a little while longer and finally he came in and told me the news I had hoped to hear. 

No invasive scoping, no swallowing crazy liquids, stomach pumping or surgery…the battery was small enough that they had hopes it would pass through him and meet the porcelain god on the other side. I was relieved. Of course we aren’t out of the woods yet. We do need to make sure this thing actually passes, so there are follow ups ahead of us. 

But for now this little guy knows not to put things in his mouth that isn’t food, and definitely no more batteries! 

Ugh! 

This kid! 

Photo Jun 19, 11 09 49 PM

Now fast asleep in his own bed at home….hoping and praying that it comes out the normal way. 

 

 

 

About Heather Jones

I'm a coffee addict wife, "work at home mom", mother to two boys, blogging about the latest life hacks, recipes, DIY Projects and crazy "momisodes".

Heartfully Heather

 

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me, Heather Jones. For questions about this blog, please contact me via the “Contact Me” link on the top menu bar or click here. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

Disclosure Policy For Reviews / Guest/Sponsored Posts: 

The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner of this blog is compensated to provide opinions on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog receives compensation for posts or advertisements, I (we) always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers’ own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

To see more of my disclosure policy please click here.

Any Votes Are Always Appreciated! (And if you let me know you voted in the comments, they'll be returned!) 

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me

Looking for a gift for that special person? Please check out my gift guide and Amazon Shop

Hit Refresh

Heather Jones

I'm a coffee addict wife, "work at home mom", mother to two boys, blogging about the latest life hacks, recipes, DIY Projects and crazy "momisodes".

25 thoughts on “When Your Child Swallows A Button Battery!

    1. Yes some day, right now I’m still going through his poop to see if he’s pooped it out yet. My lord, the thing parents do for their kids right?

        1. Hey Robin,
          I’m Lauren Groom a Casting Producer with RealityRoad.tv and I would love to hear more about the family’s story with the rock.

          Please contact me asap.

          Thanks,

          Lauren Groom
          Casting Producer
          816.471.6554 / RealityRoad.tv
          realityroadcasting@gmail.com

  1. I remember calling poison control one evening when I thought my daughter swallowed a hearing aid battery. This was many years ago and I don’t remember what they said. I remember scouring the house looking for the battery. Finally, I found it in the floor air conditioner/heater vent. I was relieved. I’m glad your son was okay.

  2. I feel your pain. When my son was 3, on New Year’s Eve, he shoved about 5 popcorn kernels up his nose. We sat the ER forever and I was convinced he was going to aspirate one. Finally he started sneezing, and within a minute all were sneezed out.

  3. This is so scary. It’s good to hear that he’s ok now. My daughter sniffed a tiny hard plastic when she was 4!

  4. I feel you! My son put a pellet (as in the ones for pellet guns) in his nose when he was four, and I could totally understand the feeling of driving on auto pilot. Hope the battery gets relieved soon!

  5. Oh my goodness… just wow. I’ve heard pretty bad stories about this happening to younger kids. I’ll be reading the follow-up next. I’m hoping everything turns out okay. Poor little guy!

    1. Yeah, I just thought the stage where I had to worry about him eating something he should was over. Most three year olds pretty much know better, but I believe all is well as of right now. 🙂

  6. I would have done exactly what you did – down to being a nervous wreck! I know your son will poop this out & Thank Ood, not even feel it!! ?

What do you think?