I felt like I was long past the stages where I needed to be worried when a kid puts an objects in their mouth that they shouldn’t….like a button battery, but I would be wrong when my three-year old told me the battery was in his throat. I wasted no time…I grabbed shoes and rushed with him out the door telling my husband I’d keep him updated. On the way to the hospital it was kind of a blur. I was driving on auto pilot….(not good) thinking about all the things this kid would go through at the hospital. Would they pump his stomach? Would they try to do surgery or go in with a scope to get it out…all these scenarios kept running through my head.
As I rushed with him into the ER, telling the ever so calm lady what kind of battery he had swallowed and seeing her “non-reaction”, I started to get angry. Despite how non expressive this lady was, she took our information and within about ten minutes we were called back to a room and Braidy’s vitals were taken. He was acting normal. I was glad I brought in two of the three batteries so the doctor knew exactly what kind of battery he swallowed. I figured, if they had all the info, it would help in their decision-making process.
His vitals were normal and he was acting his normal three-year old self. We went back out into the waiting room and was told that we would be called back for an x-ray shortly. The ex-ray showed the battery alright, almost instantly, the ex-ray technician, said, “you sure did swallow a battery”.
Right here in my little three-year old’s tummy:
Seeing this pop up on the ex-ray machine immediately made my heart skip a beat. I had secretly hoped that maybe Braidy was fibbing and didn’t actually swallow it. Fear started to overwhelm me. What would they have to do to get this thing out?
We were taken back to a room where we sat and were told the doctor would be in shortly. Thankfully it wasn’t too long before the doctor came by to say hello, then took off to take a look at his ex-ray. We sat for a little while longer and finally he came in and told me the news I had hoped to hear.
No invasive scoping, no swallowing crazy liquids, stomach pumping or surgery…the battery was small enough that they had hopes it would pass through him and meet the porcelain god on the other side. I was relieved. Of course we aren’t out of the woods yet. We do need to make sure this thing actually passes, so there are follow ups ahead of us.
But for now this little guy knows not to put things in his mouth that isn’t food, and definitely no more batteries!
Now fast asleep in his own bed at home….hoping and praying that it comes out the normal way.
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me, Heather Jones. For questions about this blog, please contact me via the “Contact Me” link on the top menu bar or click here. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.
Disclosure Policy For Reviews / Guest/Sponsored Posts:
The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post may not always be identified as paid or sponsored content.
The owner of this blog is compensated to provide opinions on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner of this blog receives compensation for posts or advertisements, I (we) always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers’ own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.
To see more of my disclosure policy please click here.
Any Votes Are Always Appreciated! (And if you let me know you voted in the comments, they'll be returned!)